Monday, August 21, 2006


People
The guy sitting on the bike in this photo is a big TV Star in Malaysia

Possibly one of the best things about introducing someone to the joy of riding as a pillion on the back of a Harley Davidson is the people you meet. Most are quite often amazed to find out how easy it is to talk with each other as we cruise around Melbourne.
I have met some very interesting people over the years. Its fascinating to get to know people and find out about what they do for a living and a little about where they live. If you are a "people
person" then, as the rider/chauffeur, taking someone for a Harley Ride becomes a very rewarding experience - and it adds to the level of enjoyment gained by one's passenger.
Occassionally a booking may lead to something quite unexpected. This was what happened to me only a week or so ago. A family visiting from Northern Ireland booked me to take their oldest son out for a one hour tour. It turnes out that Drew, who made the booking, shares my love of photography. After the ride we talked at length, and have since been exchanged many photograhy tips.
I have lost count of the number of celebrities I have had on the back of my bike. Many have been from overseas, organized by Tourism Victoria for whom I do a considerable amount of Familiarizion Rides, and sometimes I am quite oblivious to their fame "back home" until after I have asked a few subtle questions.
Possibly, one of the most interesting jobs I do each year is for a local television network at their annual Family Christmas Day. Its here that one sees television personalities in a different light. One well known celebrity, who shall remain nameless, runs around with a video camera. Last year I asked is he ever watch the footage he was taking. He replied, "Not really, but it will be good for a laugh at his 21st." All are very approachable and very friendly - certainly not anything like they appear in the press.

No comments: